Translate

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Regrets

So here's a little lesson in following your instincts...again.

I live about 300 miles away from my family, well the close relatives anyways.  But I only live 45 minutes from some other extended family. 

Yes, this is Texas, where we tell distance in terms of time.  Sorry if your state isn't that cool.

About a month or so ago, I was talking to my mom and said, I should go visit the family up there.  I haven't seen them in over 10 years.

But as most of my thoughts, I thought of it, but then did not follow through. 

Well my great uncle (who lived 45 minutes away) died last Friday.  And I never went and visited.

So I did end up getting to see a bunch of my family at the funeral but I didn't get to know my great uncle.

Anyways.  It's not like I'm sitting here crying all woe is me over this.  I'm just saying it sucks.  I should have followed my gut on that one and made some affirmative steps towards going and visiting them before he died.  I don't know what I would have learned from it or what the experience would have been, but I'm sure I would have learned something.  That's just what happens when I hang out with old people.  Which might be why I like them so much.

Maybe there was something really neat I could have learned from him.  But I'll never know.  So now my goal is to just start listening to my instincts more and to stop fighting it.  I don't know why I fight it, but I do.  Time to get over that.

I'm choosing a path that my gut and God will lead me down.  Because we all know nothing phenomenally great will come of it if I am in charge...

1 comment:

  1. Don't beat yourself too much. We all do it. Just try to learn from it. The gut is a pretty solid compass.

    ReplyDelete